phew - i have made about 35 jars of jams and chutneys this year. mainly because there has been a bumper crop of damsons, apples, pears and even strawberries. also because i like free food. there i am not proud to say i am a forager. i love spotting some delicious goodies that can be turned into presents or gifts for friends. i have run out of jam jars now though... i will have to forage for those too!
a round down of the pots of goodies
- summer jam - a soft set strawberry, blackberry and small amount of blueberry jam. strawberries - about 2lb worth were from the school garden which we watered for a week - i felt we deserved it and we were told to harvest it all!
- orchard chutney - a slightly made up chutney with plums from one of Stokie Bloke's clients, courgettes from our garden and apples from neighbours - windfalls so it's ok!
- mango and marrow chutney - from the school secretary- it's quite sweet and made with our patty pans from the garden. not our mango's obviously!
- damson and apple jelly - the damsons have been great this year bigger than last and better condition. i have several bags in the freezer for gin (the sloes look great too though!) but this jelly set really well and has a lovely colour
- plum jam - from plums as above - we got a plastic carrier bag full!
- lastly green tomato chutney as all my tomatoes have come down with blight and i had to pick the lot at the weekend with the help of mum. grrrrr another veggie disaster that I will learn from next year. as they are all slowly rotting i threw this one together using my new preserves book. the wi book of preserves is my other staple preserves book - i use it all the time. i have read the river cottage one from pam the jam corbin and would recommend that too if you need one
|selection of preserves 2011 Greatrex Kitchen|
|o the onion queen - she picked and cleaned them all!|
|plums as big as baby's b...s!|
|giant courgette hiding children|
|foul poor man's capers - nasturium seeds!|