Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
When am not doing the everyday stuff of life i am making things. Or thinking about making things....

Monday, 23 April 2012

Mostly Sewing and Chai

easter 037 easter 039
easter 038 easter 036
I was being hopeful when making this. It was balmy and warm in March but now it is full on April showers and heading for the wettest April in a few years. It’s great for the garden but I am slightly fed up of getting soaked on every school run. Anyway I made this bag when it was sunny and I was inspired,  with some quite heavy striped cotton from the stash and thinner cotton Ikea print for the lining left over from the kids tipee. It is the Everything Tote from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross (FLIKR Group Photos here) one of the better craft books I bought. I didn’t manage to get the pleats right (well in at all actually) but I still like it’s capaciousness and sturdy handles.
easter 059 easter 060
Happy Birthday Sam! Hope you like seeing yourself in blogland!
I made a Chai Syrup for Sam for a little birthday treat. It has black pepper,cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves, cardamom,tea, honey and good old dollop of sugar. It is from the Jamie Oliver Mag last month and to be honest while it was brewing I was not enamoured with the smell. However when bottled and then tested out on some warm milk, well I was smitten! Yum-a-roo. I think in futureI would leave out the star anise and make it a bit less sweet.
Ingredients
I litre of water
4 tea bags ( your choice but i just did an everyday tea by Twinings)
1½ inch piece fresh ginger, cut into slices
6 cloves
6 cardamom seeds
8 black peppercorns
1 cinnamon sticks
Honey to taste
Sugar approx 50g

Preparation
1. In a small plastic bag, combine the peppercorns, cloves and cardamom. Use a heavy mallet or rolling pin to crush the spices into coarse pieces.
2. In a saucepan on medium heat add water and the crushed spices, cinnamon sticks, and ginger pieces. Allow to come to a gentle boil, then simmer until reduced to about two thirds and is syrupy. Stir about 2 tbs into warm milk, frothed if you can be bothered! keeps in the fridge for at least a month(so far) but you’ll use it before then I guarantee.

happy chai tea drinking and for that matter happy sewing too.
x

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm sounds delicious! Might make some for Andy as chai tea is his favourite :-) xx

    ReplyDelete