Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
When am not doing the everyday stuff of life i am making things. Or thinking about making things....

Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Mostly books

I know I have not been blogging much recently but with the start of a new school year it has been surprisingly hectic. Yes you'd think I have all day now to get my jobs done but the list is never ending and some days are just a write off when something takes over. Friday for instance I have taken up the offer of a free paediatric first course at the kids school so will be there all day.

Anyway excuses excuses as usual dear readers. What we have been mainly up to is reading. J has started off reading really well and especially loves the Oxford Reading Tree aka Floppy Phonics. Their website is cool see it here for some free books. http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Reading, my only gripe is that us uses flash which doesn't work on the iPad. I have emailed them so here's hoping. Update - they replied within 20 mins, impressive. Too pricey to make iPad app at present but maybe in future... Update over.

J is doing so well at school I am really proud of him. O is reading flower fairies et al and both of them completed the summer reading challenge at the library this year. Stokie Bloke has taken over the kindle and is reading the Stig Larrson Triliogy and is gripped. Previously he read the Hunger Games Trilology too: it must be something about 3's! I have discovered some gems from the local hospice charity book shop see the pic above for the pile I have amassed over the last few weeks.

Look at these beauties! They are reproductions of originals but they were only 70p each and they are pristine. Look at the lovely pictures!

More nostalgia this time with a reproduction of make do and mend advice from wartime Britain. Again only a quid! I love all this stuff, some useful and some rather long winded but ultimately rather humbling that our forebears really had to do these things on an everyday basis as part of the war effort. Also rather apt that a new series of WarTime Farm has started on the BBC. Following on from Victorian and Edwardian Farms, it focuses on the massive change in food production during the second world war. The kids have loved it, watching all the animals and the crazy tv woman making jam just like mummy! The Hedgerow Harvest was important for country folk during the war and it's fascinating that foraging has made a real renaissance now.

The Meat book by foodie hero Hugh FW is one that I have been looking for ages and at last i found this great ex library one in mint condition for £2: it was a steal. It costs £20 on amazon new so that makes me happy to start with! J has decided that he wants to make sausages, his favourite food (small aside: he was talking in his sleep the other night " I'm a sausage; roll me up like a hotdog, Daddy" , hysterical!) so we have invested in the kitchen aid attachment and next need recipes. Look no further than the giant Meat tome I hear you cry! Well I did, and to my amazement Hugh has no sausage recipes in this book but refers you to river cottage cookbook instead. Well this is an oversight on his part surely, or some cynical marketing ploy to get you to buy all his books. Um not sure which, but now I ' ll be checking the charity shops for that one next Hah! Btw doesn't hugh look like he is nicking that giant rib of beef on the book cover. I hope it was his!

As you will have noticed most of the books are kids fiction, which I really enjoy. The Inkspell trilogy has been started on by the Rockett family's recommendation so i snapped up the second in the series. Next Catherine Webb and Horatio Lyle. I enjoyed the first so much I downloaded the second, not as good though amazing for such a young author. ( I think it's another trilogy too!) finally though the best til last. Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines, what can I say truly inspired and gripping. I will be reading all of is amazingly imagined books that is for sure. Philip Pullman also a genius for I was a rat! Brilliant.

Well enough of this photo light, wordy post.I leave you with crazy trousers on heads pictures. Not much changes around here really. X



No comments:

Post a Comment