Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
When am not doing the everyday stuff of life i am making things. Or thinking about making things....

Thursday, 7 March 2013

Mostly Annie Sloaning

Is there any more gorgeous and easy to use paint than Annie Sloan's chalk paint? I mean you don't have to sand anything down, the paint washes out in the sink and you can layer it up distress it and wax it. So I have invented a new verb, to Annie Sloan: i.e. to make a boring old bit of wood more wonderful with a lick of paint. After a wonderful morning in the snow at a vintage fair with Zola and Mark, i came home and decided it was time to paint the boring bookshelf we inherited from someone who was moving house and which sticks out like a sore thumb in the living room.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of child labour is there?!
Paris grey with French linen (Annie Sloan colours) on top, a light waxing and sanding of edges provided the necessary distressed effect. The selves now house a culled cookbook collection and nic- knacks. I need to find a nice wicker basket to fit the bottom shelves for linen storage but like the other two baskets on the top.
Whilst i missed out on a standard lamp stand at the aforesaid vintage fair I found found fully electrically tested at my local hospice shop for 20£. A bit of Annie Sloaning has transformed it into this! I need to sort the shade out next as it's too bright without one!
Half term and my birthday conspired to make it a very busy end of Feb. Thanks to all my lovely friends for their birthday pressies, cards and good wishes.
Finally i have been sewing too but my machine has gone away to be fixed as it has stopped zigzagging. Hate to think how much that will coat. I made a bubble dress for O for a party. It s lovely but the sizing needs changing as she has got sooo tall now. I added a waist tie too as it was large round the tum. Pattern and impending improvements available here
http://straight-grain.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/bubble-dress-patterns-and-tutorial.html

Hope you enjoyed the posts today!

No comments:

Post a Comment