Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
When am not doing the everyday stuff of life i am making things. Or thinking about making things....

Thursday, 18 July 2013

Mostly Cherry Picking

It has been an awesome year for fruit and the current heatwave is ripening off the currants like crazy. ( see what I did there? Sad i know). A cherry tree at the allotment was seriously covered with delicious red fruit and i recruited J, O Jamie and Jodie to help pick, probably about 2kgs of cherries in the end. I took some to school, I jammed some with Cherry Herring liqueur from my mum ( not cherry flavoured herrings, that would be gross but that is the brand name) and i tried bottling some as well as eating some along the way. They are one of my favourite fruits. Nb fancy pic editing software in the pic above is via a beautiful mess' ipad app.http://www.abeautifulmess.com/. Only 69p and such fun!

The strawberries have been equally impressive too. More child labour employed here!

I made homemade lemonade for the school fair and sold about 20 pots of jam alongside the lemonade. Bonus! Thanks to my lovely mum for making the jars look so lovely. She wouldn't let me keep any scrap fabric leftover though.... She knows me too well.

 
J's lovely strawberry drawing, which if i was clever i would turn into jam labels, as i love it so much!!!
We have also had our first really good lot of blueberries and if i can keep up the watering then they should keep producing little cupfuls like this every few days. Nice on brekkie.
I also made elderflower Jelly for the first time. Very nice, slightly honeyed taste and easy to make. The elders were v late this year but prolific. Link to the jelly is via a dutch website one of my favourites, vlitig. The recipe is here http://helmicoenders.blogspot.nl/search?q=vlierbloesem ( this pic is from that site and very lovely it is too) and you basically put elderflowers in apple juice for a few days in the fridge then strain and boil liquid with sugar. I used jam sugar with added pectin. Helmi's latest post is about cherries too, esp Clafoutis which shamefully i did not make. Still if there are any cherries left.....

I love a fresh pea and so do the squirrels. Lots of half eaten pods. Grrr. These were consumed by me though so that's alright. We do have a heatwave on here in The Home Counties don'tch ya know, so am struggling to water eveything, sports day is cancelled, and our labourer left in the middle of my garden design job for Stokie Bloke. Life is hectic right now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment